1.22.2014

D.I.Y Fuller Curtains


 I have to admit sewing is not my favorite thing to do. However, I can sew (sort of) straight lines so that means I can sew curtains! In general, you can save money by making your own curtain panel and it's pretty simple. There are many tutorials on how to sew curtains or not sewing curtains using a fabric tape. I really like this one tutorial. However, what I want to share is a
TIP 
on How To Make Your Curtains Fuller:
Buy twin white flat sheets for the liner (you can get cheap ones at Walmart for $5/per sheet). A twin sheet will cover the average 54" for fabric width. Major time saver folks! Since a sheet is already sewn you don't need to do any extra sewing except for attaching the sheet/liner onto the fabric. My friend, Chelsey, told me this is how she sews her curtains and it really cuts your time down in sewing when things are pretty much ready. 
                        You might have to cut a little extra off the side like I did, but overall it's so much easier.
I didn't even iron the sheet for you, but you can see how nicely it hangs!
The fabric is from fabric.com called Felton River by Swavelle Mill Creek. It's an indoor/outdoor fabric so it will stand up better to sun damage and cleans easier. 
Once you get the sheet on back, the curtain hangs better, is protected from fading and it doesn't take too long to sew it on the back. Have you used a sheet on the backs of your curtains before? 

8 comments:

  1. Happy to have come across your blog! Great projects, I was happy to see the post in your girls room, I have been looking for that print with the little girl by the shore for my daughters room for a while and could never find it. Now i know the name, Thank you!!!
    -Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Tina! Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  2. This is such a good idea!! And something I need to do. Pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I made your blog! I feel awesome! I love seeing your home in these pictures--I always notice details that I miss when I see the whole thing. You have such a talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are one awesome, talented friend! Thanks for your inspiration and encouragement!

      Delete
  4. Love this fabric and just pinned it! Thanks for the find and great tips!

    ReplyDelete